Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Oklahoma Trooper Steven R. Smith, In Progress


A memorial cartoon for Trooper Steven R. Smith of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, in progress.

Trooper buried seven years after shooting - The Joplin Globe


A few months ago I stumbled across the story of Officer Brian Jackson, a newlywed police officer slain while responding to a domestic violence incident. Like the stories of most fallen soldiers and officers, it flashed by quickly in the constant and tumultuous media stream; I was fortunate to have caught a glimpse of it at all. I have a lot of irons in the fire, but I decided to draw at least one cartoon on this more than worthy subject of fallen officers.

Since I drew and posted that one very quickly drawn cartoon back in November, it's received continued attention, including a phone call from a relative of Officer Jackson and an email from Roxanne Palmer, editorial cartoonist for The Brown Daily Herald, who told me that she knows a friend of Officer Jackson and very much appreciated the cartoon, so much so that it influenced her placing a link to faithmouse on her site. Honoring our fallen heroes trumps ideologies, as well it should.

I've decided to draw and post a few more memorials this week, including a complete reworking of the Jackson/Allen cartoon. I don't have a methodology or plan- just whatever story happens to catch my eye. Let's see how many we can complete by the time for Sunday's Stop The ACLU toon.

No comments:

Post a Comment